You are here: All Issues → Contents of Volume 1
Contents of Volume 1 (1991)
N.B. Numbers refer to issues and pagination of the printed version of Connotations.
- Piers Plowman, Numerical Composition, and the Prophecies
- Gematria in Piers Plowman (A Response to Arthur Versluis)
- Duality in Piers Plowman and the Anglo-Saxon Riddles (A Response to Arthur Versluis)
- Comments on Arthur Versluis, "Piers Plowman, Numerical Composition, and the Prophecies"
- Arthur Golding and the Elizabethan Progress of Actaeon's Dogs
- Doctor Faustus: Death of a Bibliophile
- Doctor Faustus and the Literary System: A Supplementary Response to Paul Budra
- Doctor Faustus and Intertextuality (A Response to Paul Budra and Paul Yachnin)
- Doctor Faustus: The Play-Text or the Play? (A Reply to Mark Thornton Burnett)
- Mnemonic Criticism & Renaissance Literature: A Manifesto
- "If you have tears ...": Oxford and Onions
- Religion in King John: Shakespeare's View
- A Response to Roy Battenhouse, "Religion in King John: Shakespeare's View"
- "M.O.A.I." Trying to Share the Joke in Twelfth Night 2.5 (A Critical Hypothesis)
- More About Laughing at "M.O.A.I." (A Response to Inge Leimberg)
- Maria's Theology and Other Questions (An Answer to John Russell Brown)
- Count Malvolio, Machevill and Vice
- On Puzzling Shakespeare by Leah Marcus
- The "Doubleness" of The Malcontent and Fairy-tale Form
- Fairy-tales, Form, and the Future of Marston Studies (A Response to Brownell Salomon)
- A Response to Margreta de Grazia, "Homonyms before and after Lexical Standardization"
- Response to Manford Hanowell's Response to "Homonyms before and after Lexical Standardization"
- The Head and the Hands on the Rostra: Marcus Tullius Cicero as a Sign of Its Time
- Charles I, Cromwell and Cicero (A Response to Dale B.J. Randall)
- Once More to the Rostra (An Answer to John Morrill)
- The Language of Hell
- Plague, Fire, and Typology in Defoe's A Journal of the Plague Year
- The Art of Fiction and the Art of War: Henry James, H. G. Wells, and Ford Madox Ford